Hey hey, so…a new series is born on the channel and I’m going to build a tiny apartment on this space. Let’s get started! The reason I haven’t been posting many videos recently is because 1 – I’ve been planing, drawing and thinking really hard about this new space for the last couple months and 2 – I’ve been building a musical instrument and that is taking a lot of time and effort.

Good news is that the ukulele bass is almost finished and bad news is that I have more than 1 terabyte of 4K footage to edit. But don’t give up on me! I promise you I’m doing my best to bring you super awesome content, learning and entertainment.

So let’s talk about this bathroom vanity. The material I used here is a water-resistant MDF that typically comes in green color so that it is easily distinguishable from the regular brown material. Whenever you’re working on pieces for humid areas, make sure to use water-resistant materials.

Most of the pieces were already cut to size or close to size because I asked the guys on the home center to cut them for me so I could fit the boards inside the car and make my job quicker. I joined most of the parts using my brand new domino joiner that basically cuts mortises in both sides to receive a floating tenon to create a super strong joint.

Since I will be building lots and lots of furniture in the next weeks, I decided to purchase this tool to make everything a little quicker to build. At least that’s what I hope. But anyway, all this can still be achieved with screws or dowels like I have been doing in the past projects.

I glued the outer structure of the cabinet and as I was building this on the go, some mistakes came in the way and had to change my mind about some parts of the process. I ended up screwing the back rails instead of using the floating tenons and patching the holes with some wood paste.

Then I realized I didn’t count for the top overhang and had to add a little strip to make it a little wider Thankfully none of this mattered in the end as it wasn’t visible. I sanded the strip flush and started working on the veneering process.

I used some oak veneer sheets and tried a new method to get freshly straight edges with a router and a flush trimming bit. It’s super hard to get straight edges using an x-acto knife because the blade always follows the wood grain and it’s almost impossible to get a perfect line for book matching and gluing.

I’m not sure I can find a better contact glue in Portugal to get this job done, but I must say this high viscosity glue was a pain to use. After sticking the two pieces together, it’s imperative to press them as hard as you can with a hard block.

I scraped some glue spots and kept working on the rest of the cabinet. Here I was cutting the mdf to size for the drawers and assembled them using the domino joiner again. I got to the conclusion that the bottoms were a little two thin, so I decided doubling the thickness.

I pressed them together by placing the vanity itself and some other weights on top. After cutting them to size, I jumped on the glue up and did my best to align and clamp everything nicely. I removed all the dust and painted everything white on the inside faces.

I also applied several coats of water resistant varnish on the top and drawer bottoms. I wanted to create the pulls just so that they are not protruding past the front face of the vanity. So the idea here is to make a recessed rectangle and then attach a strip of wood that has an angle towards the inside of the recess so you can actually grab it with the fingers.

I needed to mount the drawer slides before cutting the final height for the drawer fronts. So I did that using gloves because I really hate when the drawers slides come full of grease. I then screwed the bottoms and started to apply the slides plasticky parts.

I had to cut the tips of the screws so they don’t peek inside the drawer but well, it was my first experience with hidden drawer slides and I wish I can get some instructions for next time. Let me know if there’s any good information out there regarding this type of slides because I didn’t find much.

Here I was creating a groove in several passes using the track saw to fit the bottom. Now I can finally attach the front pieces and paint the inside face of the fronts. I am carefully working on this drain pipe relief on the top drawer but I’ll tell you right away that I had to redo this part because the spacing was too small.

To screw the veneered top in place, I decided to use pocket holes to avoid any visible fasteners. Now I can attach the pulls and start mounting the vanity in place. So this is a pretty old bathroom with super misaligned tiles on the walls which makes everything harder and I also didn’t calculate the plumbing measurements very well.

But anyway, I mounted the structure to the wall and I could put the top in place with pocket hole screws. Of course I will need to apply later a thin trim around the vanity to mask the inconsistent wall shape.

As I explained before, the drain pipe clearance wasn’t enough to angle the pipe to the wall existing hole so I had to remake this section. Still have to work on the plumbing, connecting the faucet and try to align the drawer slides a bit better aaaaand so much do to about the rest of the space! I’m super excited about the upcoming projects and I’m sure you will be as well.

Thank you so much for watching this first episode of the Tiny Apartment Series and I’ll see you soon with a bunch of new furniture projects! Oh yeah, but first, the ukulele build! That is going to be a long one but really really fun.

A big shout out to all my Patreon supporters that have been patiently waiting for all this new content and kept believing and supporting my work. I’ll catch you guys later!